Every household have small appliances such as toasters. And from time to time, when it no longer works, we tend to change it to a new one. We look for best toaster oven 2017 with reviews and decide that it is the next new thing for your kitchen. But do you know that this little decision may and can make an impact to our environment?
Where does the old toaster go? Your old toaster is lucky if it ends up in a repair shop for some mending and resold at a thrift shop. But for most people, they don’t really care where it goes so the toaster becomes an added trash into our land fill. Isn’t it sad that small decisions can make a big impact to our environment? Let’s protect our environment through our simple ways.
I have a toaster that is in fact as old as my grandma but it still works well as the new ones. In fact it works better than the new ones. Although I have to admit that every time it shows some signs of old age, I am tempted to replace it with a new one. But again, I have to be responsible on how to dispose the old one. So I end up still owning the old toaster.
Recycling A Toaster Oven
Though, I am tempted many times to put the old toaster to rest, I am glad I didn’t. Here are the reasons why?
Reasons why you shouldn’t be trashing your small appliances
- According to studies, there are 9.4 million tons of small appliances being trashed each year. This means there are 9.4 million tons of added pollutants to our environment that we could have prevented.
- Recycling small appliances can benefits yet another millions of deprived citizens of various nations. Your trash can be another’s treasure.
- Repairs can cost another added expense but you don’t have to spend another thousands of dollars buying a new one.
- Donate instead of trashing. Donating small appliances that are still working is a good thing. Many people will still like to use old but working stuff.
- Perhaps the most important – Deciding to use what appliances you have, to recycle, or to repair helps save our planet. It’s the only thing we have and we should take care of it.
There could be many reasons why I am keeping this old toaster but for sure I know that it will still have many more years in my kitchen because it is well taken cared of. So next time you decide to buy the new thing for your home, think again – Do you really need it? Before you trash something out – think again, is it still repairable? Is it better of donated? Or you can keep it as it still serves its function.